10 September 2012

Tiny Asparagus

In the middle of August I collected some asparagus seeds from a female asparagus plant. A week later I planted them, unsure of what would happen: germination? failure? Anything was possible. So when the first asparagus germinated I squealed with delight!
Then each pot germinated, some starting shortly after the first, some taking a week longer. They're growing at the rate of about an inch every 24 hours. Wow!
In July I was given some Malabar spinach and it's growing steadily. It's not super prolific at the moment but at the very least I'll be able to collect the seeds and plant it again next year. This is what the berries look like.
I thinned some strawberries at work and took some home and these guys are doing really well.
And my basil is doing remarkably well too. I've been able to harvest a good deal even though I planted really late. Hello pesto!
My cactus set out a baby but it didn't do so well and gave up pretty quickly. Not sure what happened. This is what a baby cactus looks like on the mother plant.
All in all, my fire escape "garden" is doing well. I'm hoping next year I'll be able to have a garden in the ground. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: