04 March 2008

Growth in Spring

Yesterday I went to the desert again to take a walk. It was a beautiful day, as was today and I was able to take some photos of blossoming joshua trees. I'd never seen the blooms up close and was fascinated by their complexity and beauty. Such a stand-offish tree was much more intricate and purposeful than I had imagined. However, thats a silly thing to think of a growing thing.








I don't know what kind of plant this one is. It has some nasty thorns but it was green too so I had to photograph it. Thats what happens when its all brown and you find something green! Its exciting!



And when there is birth there is also death.




I also saw some really big ants that were scurrying around. They had a big hole too.



And some ravens too. Equally as large in comparison to many species of crow.



But in all this beauty there was the wreckage that the human hand placed on the Earth. Not only on the earth but It's children too. I don't know how these toys get here or why they do. I can think about it as much as I like but still nothing comes.











And to end on a positive note, our backyard is blooming too. There aren't a whole lot of blossoms and blooms but they're still beautiful, the few of them.






All in all, the last two days have been absolutely gorgeous. It makes me so happy to sit outside in the sun or walk in the desert. Its definitely exacerbated by having winter just ended but I'll take these happy feelings any time. I have a renewed love for the sun.

2 comments:

Linwood said...

I am friends with Rachel Liberto and she shared your blog site with me. It is always so beautiful to see how you view the world and your creativity is inspiring. I love the wide range of projects that you take on. Thank you for sharing.

Hannah Stitzlein said...

Thanks Lindsay, I really appreciate it, your comment made me really happy. :0) I wanted to say so on your blog but I couldn't figure it out, so I'm just going to leave it here and hope you find it.